Learn how to read, sew (and fit!) from a commercial sewing pattern.
Sewing 201: Sewing and Fitting Commercial Patterns
In Sewing 201 we focus on sewing (and fitting!) a commercial pattern. We’ll cover the basics (how to read the pattern, what all the terminology and symbols mean and how to navigate the instructions without frustration) and then we’ll work through fitting this pattern to your body measurements. In this session you’ll be making a button down blouse! After four short weeks you’ll leave with a one of a kind garment that you’ll be proud to show off to your friends and family.
Cost: $275 course fee, includes 10 hours of instruction, paper pattern and some supplies.
Prerequisite: This class assumes that you’ve completed our Sewing 102 course or have equivalent skills
Skilled Learned: how to read a pattern, terminology, symbols, taking proper body measurements, pattern layout, cutting, fitting and adjustments.
- July Intensive: class meets Tuesdays & Thursdays, July 10th, 12th, 17th & 19th from 7-9:30pm
- August AM: class meets Tuesdays, August 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th from 10am-12:30pm
- August PM: class meets Tuesdays, August 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th from 7-9:30pm
- October AM: class meets Wednesdays, October 3rd, 10th, 17th & 31st from 10am-12:30pm
- October PM: class meets Wednesdays, October 3rd, 10th, 17th & 31st from 7-9:30pm
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing kit
- Fabric: 2 – 3.5 yards depending on size and length (see photo of pattern back above, or email us if you’re uncertain)
- (6-11) 1/2″ buttons
- coordinating thread
- 1.25 yards lightweight fusible interfacing (Pellon 906F recommended)